I've finally gotten some online documentation for PLA up at Github Pages. The colors are the same standard dark scheme that I use for everything. There are some things in this world that I consider myself very good at, but graphic design and effective use of colors are not in that list. If somebody with a better grasp of the color wheel would like to take a stab at a redesign, I would be very happy to accept patches.
Documentation for PLA had been written in POD, and embedded directly in the PMC source files. This is a decent system, and is what Parrot uses, but I was becoming unhappy with it. The problem I was having was that even though converting POD to HTML is supposed to be a well-understood and oft-solved problem, I couldn't find a converter I liked that produced good-looking output. Also, I was having a hell of a time finding a tool that would give me any kind of flexibility with how the output HTML was generated, formatted, or organized. The output of the standard pod2html is horrendous, and I've found it to be very difficult to style without modifying the generated HTML by hand.
I also am not really too happy with the way POD embeds in source code. It's too abusive of vertical space, and causes files to become completely bloated. Not to mention the fact that I don't think it's really the right solution to the problem. I could have looked into something like Doxygen, but that's only marginally better. Sure, Doxygen uses less vertical space in a file, but it's still embedded documentation that attempts to do more than it should. Documentation for prospective users should be different than documentation for prospective hackers. If it's not different, I can guarantee that one of the two groups is getting the short end of the stick. If you have documentation for hackers (as you would expect to find embedded in the C source code file), the users are going to be stuck sifting through page after page of internals minutia. What the users really want to see is information about the interface and how to use the tools, not details about every function in the C code file.
I thought about writing a POD parser in NQP that would do what I wanted it to do, but by the time I realized how much effort that would take me, I had basically decided against using POD entirely. I do think that a standalone POD parser written in a Parrot-targetting language (NQP comes to mind immediately) would be a good thing, but I am not inclined to make it myself just yet.
I thought about adding separate POD files to form user documentation, separate from the hacker documentation embedded in the source code. However, this didn't sit well with me either. First, as I mentioned above, the generated HTML I could get always looked terrible (and I couldn't find any compelling alternate tool which might generate better-looking pages) and it didn't really give me the flexibility that I wanted to have. It got to the point that it would have taken me more effort to write the tool I needed to get the resulting output that I wanted than it would have taken me just to rewrite the documentation using a different markup language.
Finally I decided to embrace Github Pages wholesale. Github Pages uses the Jekyll preprocessor, which takes input in Textile, Markdown, or HTML. It gives me a lot more flexibility to break documentation up into arbitrary little chunks and keeps pages themed in a consistent way. I decided on Textile, which in my mind is easier to read and write than I ever found POD to be. So I rewrote most of the documentation in Textile with some Jekyll processor magic thrown in, and I'm pretty happy with the result.
So happy in fact that I've considered maybe changing my entire blog format over to using Jekyll and Textile. I'm not ready for that kind of changeover just yet, but it is something I probably want to look into eventually.
Along with some of the fixes I've made to the PLA test harness and test coverage in the last few days, this is basically one of the last requirements I had for putting out a new release of PLA. I now feel like I'm prepared to cut the release shortly after Parrot 2.8.0 comes out.