As of Sunday evening, the branch could build, run, and execute the test suite. There are several tests that are failing still (many of which are to be expected), but a good number that are successfully passing too, which is good.
String handling is one area where I was expecting some serious regressions, and was not surprised in that regard. M uses a very idiosyncratic handling as I've mentioned before, and all tests that are relying on complicated string behavior are failing miserably. In response to this, last night I created a new matrix type in the Parrot-Linear-Algebra project: a 2D character matrix type that will be used to implement Matrixy's string handling. My task now is to improve this new matrix type (including adding a test suite for it) and integrating it into Matrixy. I started some of that last night but haven't pushed any of my work to the public repo yet.
Another thing I added last night was the "matrix" role. Any of the matrix types in Parrot-Linear-Algebra will now respond positively to a "does 'matrix'" query. An object that fulfills the matrix role will have the following properties:
- Contains a number of elements arranged in a rectangular NxM grid
- Elements can be accessed linearly using a single integer index (behavior varies by type, but it is always possible)
- Elements can be accessed by X,Y 2-ary coordinates to retrieve a value
- Matrices can grow automatically to accommodate newly inserted values
- Matrices should stringify in such a way where each row of the matrix will be on it's own line (rows separated by newlines). The formatting of each individual row is dependent on the type of the matrix.
Speaking of tasks, on the near-term TODO list I plan to add specialized vector types to Parrot-Linear-Algebra, add tests for the new matrix and vector types, beef up the CharMatrix2D type to handle the string operations that Matrixy needs, and continue fixing the pla_integration branch for Matrixy to pass more of it's tests. On top of all that, there's a testing hackathon this weekend that I want to participate in, some work for Wittie that I need to finish, and possibly having a baby. Could turn out to be the very busy next few days for me!